Modding OverviewThis page provides an overview of different modding tools that are available.
Disclaimer: Modding is currently discouraged by the devs. Do not report bugs or crashes related to modding to the Spelunky 2 developers. Make sure to back up your save file as modding and crashes could cause corruption to your save.
Spel2 Soundbank Tools
While we haven't seen any corruption recently there have been incidents where modding tools have caused crashes that could potentially corrupt save files. Additionally bugs in the tooling could cause issues related to saving. Save corruption is rare but it is possible so if you care about your save file you should back it up.
Yes. No modding tools will prevent you from unlocking achievements. If you would like to experiement with modding without accidentally unlocking achivements you intend to get legitimately you should look at Goldberg Emulator which will allow you to run your game without using steam directly.
Texture/String/etc mods will work online with no problems. Changes to level files however will only work if all players have the same level modifications.
You can do some level editing with just a text editor (such as Notepad) as the files extracted with Modlunky 2 are plain text. Modlunky 2 also provides a visual editor that is currently in development.
Below is the reasoning provided directly by the developers:
We want to look into official modding and integrating with workshop or mod.io
We don't know yet as S2 wasn't developed w/modding in mindModding is still discouraged because:
- Formats are volatile enough & breakage is expected
- Can't guarantee that third-party mods don't contain any malware
- Wastes dev time: Bad pr / reports originate due to edited saves/cheats/modding
There are a variety of reasons that your game could be crashing.
- You have anti-virus software that has quarantined the game or mod tools. Consult your anti-virus software for how to view and whitelist items from the quarantine.
- Spelunky 2 has been updated and is no longer compatible with the tools.
- There is some incompatibility between two different mod tools causing instability
Developers of the modding tools provide support in the
#s2-moddingchannel in the Community Discord Server. You can also file issues against the GitHub repositories for each project to report bugs.
When asking for help it is important to be respectful and ask good questions.
- Don't ask to ask a question. Just ask.
- Read the documentation of the project first to avoid asking something that is already documented.
- Provide details about what you were doing and what other modifications you may be using.