Modding > Spelunky 2 > OverviewThis page provides an overview of different modding tools that are available for Spelunky 2.
Overlunky provides an overlay for your running game to provide a playground for experiments and practice. It provides capabilities such as warping to any areas, entity spawning and manipulation, Lua scripting and more.
Overlunky can be downloaded from Modlunky2's Overlunky tab.
Playlunky is focused on the user side of asset modding, providing a launcher that can load mods directly into the game. It also provides extended functionality for merging strings, shaders, sprite sheets, etc. and features the same Lua scripting features as Overlunky.
Playlunky is usable via Modlunky2's Playlunky tab.
A desktop app used to create Spelunky 2 sprite fonts.
The tool operates on the FNB font files from Spelunky 2 and their respective texture atlasses.
This tool is for tool developers only.
It is a plugin to the x64dbg debugger that lets you directly poke memory in a structured fashion. It can access state memory, level memory, entities, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I backup my save file?
Will achievements still work while my game is modded?
Can I use mods online?
Is there a level editor?
Why is modding discouraged by the Spelunky 2 developers?
We want to look into official modding and integrating with workshop or mod.io
We don't know yet as S2 wasn't developed w/modding in mindModding is still discouraged because:
- Formats are volatile enough & breakage is expected
- Can't guarantee that third-party mods don't contain any malware
- Wastes dev time: Bad pr / reports originate due to edited saves/cheats/modding
Why did the game crash when I did X?
- You have anti-virus software that has quarantined the game or mod tools. Consult your anti-virus software for how to view and whitelist items from the quarantine.
- Spelunky 2 has been updated and is no longer compatible with the tools.
- There is some incompatibility between two different mod tools causing instability
Where can I get help with modding?
#s2-modding-helpchannel in the Community Discord Server. You can also file issues against the GitHub repositories for each project to report bugs.
How can I ask a good question?
- Don't ask to ask a question. Just ask.
- Read the documentation of the project first to avoid asking something that is already documented.
- Provide details about what you were doing and what other modifications you may be using.